Large multi-pocket ore bin remains at the Cardiff mine - c.1990, it
still stands today.
K. Winegar - Tintic Images - All Rights Reserved
QUICK LOCATION PATH: Utah / Salt
Lake County / Big Cottonwood District / South Fork or Cardiff Fork / Upper canyon
Approximate GPS Location:
40.36.508 N - 111.39.219 W (topo)
30 x 60 Minute Map:
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
7.5 Minute Map:
DROMEDARY PEAK, UTAH
The Cardiff Mining Company was incorporated in the state of Utah in
December of 1906. Company officers included: Lynn H. Thompson, President; Ezra P. Thompson, Vice-President; Clyde R. Thompson,
Treasurer; W.W. Murdock, Secretary; F.W. Price, additional Director.
in 1929 the company owned 16 patented claims and had workings that totaled more than 5000'. The company paid
several dividends from 1915 to 1927 totaling over $1,000,000, but before the ups, came the downs. The company issued at least
nine stock assessments before that first dividend was paid.
the large ore bodies were struck, the company operations expanded. A large number of surface buildings were constructed, as
were very large ore bins, one at the mine, the other at the mouth of South Fork at Renyolds Flat. The larger of the two being
the one down at the canyon mouth.
from the mine was drawn by wagon teams from mine to the flats, and then from the flats to the Salt Lake Valley. All that would
change when concerns over water quality and other matters prompted a change to 4-wheel drive trucks.
It was even contemplated that an aerial tramway would be put in place to carry the ore from
the mine down as far as the ore bins and eliminate that part of the ore haul. Though contemplated, the tramway was never built.
The mine was worked off and on until well into the 1950's, when active mining ceased.
Surface dump and buildings at the Cardiff mine's upper workings -
- THRP Archives - Winegar Collection - All Rights Reserved
Sacked and stacked ore bags at the Cardiff mine, ready to be shipped -
SLMR Images - THRP Archives - Winegar
Collection - All Rights Reserved
Bunkhouse of the Cardiff Mining and Milling Company - c.1916
SLMR Images - THRP Archives - Winegar Collection - All
Portal house at the Cardiff mine as it appeared 40 years ago. - c.1972
THRP - Rchard Fluehe photograph collection
- All Rights Reserved
The huge ore bin shown in the top picture of this page remains as the only structure still standing at the Cardiff
site today. The trestle to the ore bin, intact until 1983 when heavy runoff that year from record snow undercut the trestle
uprights and the whole thing came crashing down to the stream bed where it still rests to this day. Little has changed since
the picture above was taken in 1990.
Large timbers litter the site as do bits of metal, pipe and other material related
to the one time mining operation. A large stone wall stands atop the dump flanking either side of the old portal, and the
fallen walls and roof of the old buildings that used to flank the portal lay flattened in front of that old stone wall.
May of 2011, Richard Fluehe kindly provided to THRP the photo directly above, showing that portal building. The last remaining
structure at the Cardiff site other than the ore bin. Taken in 1972, the image shows the structure, even then in rough shape.
Heavily weathered, the building appears to have been there a while, and it is not known when it finally collapsed. The fallen
remains of this building are still present at the site.
The Cardiff was the largest mining
operation in the entire district, and we will add more to this page in the near future.
This site is on a well hiked trail up Cardiff Fork, but it is Private
Property so please enjoy the view if you choose to visit, but leave things as you find them.